Often times FM-200® systems are employed to protect critical installations formerly protected by Halon 1301. FM-200®is commonly used in these types of facilities:
FM-200® is the preferred fire suppression system for facilities that can't afford fire related business interruption. It is non-toxic on people. The FM-200® extinguishing agent is typically stored in cylinders or spheres. It is delivered to nozzles through a system piping network. Smoke detectors sense the presence of fire in the protected facility. The detection and control panel then sounds an alarm, shuts down air handlers, disconnects power from the protected equipment, and then releases agent into the protected area.
What is FM-200®?FM-200 is a registered trademark of Great Lakes Chemical Corporation. FM-200® is a brand name for 1,1,1,2,3,3,3-heptaflouropropane. FM-200® extinguishes fire through heat absorption. The class of compound FM-200® belongs to, HFCs, are used in refrigeration and are a very effective heat transfer agent. HFCs remove heat energy from a fire so the fire cannot sustain itself. FM-200® also releases small amounts of free radicals upon exposure to flames. Free radicals inhibit the chain reaction responsible for combustion.
FM-200® will not damage delicate equipment because it does not have particulates or oily residues. It does not significantly reduce oxygen levels when deployed, making it safe for people. After being discharged it can be removed by ventilation.
Benefits of Using FM-200®
- Fast-Acting: FM-200® can stop fires in just seconds. Extinguishing fires quickly means less damage, repair costs and extra safety.
- Safe For People: FM-200® has been tested extensively to ensure safe exposure to people.
- No Collateral Damage: FM-200® does not leave oily residues, particulates, water, or corrosive material. This eliminates collateral damage.
- Environmentally Responsible: It has a low environmental impact because it has a low atmospheric lifetime.
- Small Space Requirement: Other fire suppression systems, such as C02 and inert gases require as much as seven times more storage space.
- Globally Accepted: FM-200® is the most widely accepted clean agent in the world. It is used in tens of thousands of fire suppression systems.